Tuesday, 3 February 2015

My Top Book Quotes: To Kill A Mocking Bird

"Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird."



To kill a mocking bird by Harper Lee, is a read that has an iconic status. It constantly makes the 'must read books before you die' lists. In fact, if I read a list that doesn't have this on it, I won't pay much more attention to it. The story follows a young brother and sister through their childhood, set in the great depression in the 1930's. Without giving too much away the book covers various serious issues including race and discrimination. 


My Highlights: To Kill A Mocking-Bird

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."

" The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

"Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird."

"There are just some kind of men who - who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one."

"People in their right minds never take pride in their talents."

"Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird."

"With him, life was routine; without him, life was unbearable."

"Real courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."

"If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other?"

"Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself."

"Things are always better in the morning."

"Things are never as bad as they seem."

"There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible."

"There's just some kind of men you have to shoot before you can say hidy to 'em. Even then, they ain't worth the bullet it takes to shoot 'em."


What's your favourite quotes from To Kill A Mocking-Bird? Let me know if I have missed any out! 


2 comments: